The American Association of Woodturners (AAW) strives to deliver publications and services that our members need to grow, connect, explore, and thrive in the areas of woodturning that are important to them. With nearly 16,000+ members and 360+ chapters internationally, AAW's many resources, including our award- winning American Woodturner journal, help our members to learn, create, and connect. We are extremely excited to collaborate with educators to provide students with woodturning instruction.
Educator Membership FREE with Scholarship Application
Qualified woodturning educators may apply for a scholarship to cover the cost of an AAW membership. Click here to apply for a scholarship.
Teaching/Mentoring Resources – Free downloadable books available with membership:
- Teaching Woodturning Basics: Reference guide to help turners learn to teach others.
- Teacher's Resource and Project Guide: Handbook to help educators develop programs to teach woodturning skills. Includes important safety guidelines, best practices, lesson plan tips, and projects.
- Pen Manufacture Enterprise: Guide for teachers that offers students a pen-manufacturing experience.
- Let's Go for a Spin: Lesson plan series for instructors to provide beginning and advanced students with a well-rounded set of turning skills.
Online community for woodturning educators
- Connect with other educators
- Share lesson plans and curriculum
- Quickly access AAW resources for learning and teaching
- Learn about events and educational opportunities
- Learn about grant opportunities
Educators Can Provide Free Memberships to Their Students
Annual general digital memberships are free for students, ages 10-25, who are attending an educator’s woodturning classes. These members-only resources include AAW’s award winning American Woodturner journal, Woodturning FUNdamentals online learning portal and digital publication, and a variety of safety resources, best practices, reference booklets, teaching guides, and student projects.