Live Virtual Woodturning Event
AAW Presents: Lyle Jamieson
Turning a Thin-walled Goblet
Saturday, March 18, 2023
3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
AAW Presents a live, virtual woodturning demonstration with Lyle Jamieson. The goblet is a good vehicle to teach spindle turning and to demonstrate the fundamentals of hollow form turning. Lyle guarantees you will learn some new perspectives, and get an understanding of tool control, chucking issues, support problems, vibration issue, grain orientation, carbide cutter use, hollowing in stages, and laser measuring techniques. Come and see techniques for both outside and inside of hollow form turning. Discover easy and safe techniques for all skill levels!
- how to get clean cuts and conquer vibration and support issues
- understand how grain orientation can make or break a project
- learn about tool control with traditional and carbide tools
About the Presenter
Lyle Jamieson’s first experience with turning came as a child. Mentored by his father, he did all kinds of woodworking, but in 1988 the woodworking tools got left behind...for turning.
An accomplished teacher of woodturning technique, Lyle concentrates on the process of turning in contrast to the product. Lyle’s philosophy: What is the difference between a beginning turner and an advanced turner? It is what they do with the basics.
Lyle is the inventor/creator of the Jamieson Hollow Form Turning System, which permits for safer, in-control hollowing. Also a sculptor, Lyle’s turned figurative sculptures are in private and public collections around the world, including the Detroit Institute of Art and the University of Michigan Museum of Art.
Currently, Lyle is also doing Live Interactive Remote Demonstrations IRDs, over the internet from his studio for club meetings and individuals or other teaching opportunities, since 2014. Learn more here.
- $10 AAW members, $15 all others.
- Preregistration required. Replay will be available to registered attendees only.
- All experience levels are welcome.
- The presentation is expected to last approximately 120 minutes.
- Registration is open through Saturday, March 18, 2023 at 10am Eastern Time.
Confirmation/Receipt and Event Link
- After registering, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email.
- A link to the event will be sent by email approximately 24-hours prior to the event. Day-of registration links will be sent immediately prior to the event.
Advance registration includes online replay of the event. The replay will be available to registered attendees through April 8, 2023. Registered attendees will be provided a link via email when the replay is available for viewing.