Live Online Event
AAW Presents: Stewart Furini
Shape and Color:
Turning and Coloring a Wide-Rim Bowl
Saturday, February 18, 2023
2:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Stewart will demonstrate turning and decorating a wide-rimmed shallow bowl. The demo will cover work-holding methods, chucking, pull-cutting with the bowl gouge, and creating a pleasing ogee shape and foot design. He’ll also cover things to consider when shaping the rim before any texturing and coloring is done. A selection of coloring techniques--some requiring no special equipment-- will be shown before the inside of the bowl is turned and finished. There'll even be room for some audience participation - you get to choose the colors!
- How to use pull-cutting to shape an ogee
- How to feel more confident using stains, dyes and paints
- How to finish and protect your decorative effect
About the Presenter
Known for his colorful, textured turnings, Stewart Furini’s friendly manner, technical expertise, and clear teaching style have made him a popular demonstrator, both in-person and online.
A turner for 15 years, Stewart gained exposure through his popular YouTube channel and in online Facebook groups, and soon was demonstrating in person and online. He credits joining two local clubs early on with helping him to develop his initial skills and increase his enjoyment of the craft.
As well as demonstrating and teaching, Stewart has written articles on texture and color for the UK magazine, Woodturning. He is part of a transatlantic group of turners (including Rebecca De Groot, Jeff Hornung, Emma Cook, Chris Parker and Kade Bolger) that organizes the remote Woodturners Retreat several times a year. He has a busy schedule of live club demos, IRDs and one-on-one workshops. To keep up with him, join his mailing list and keep up with his videos here.
- $10 AAW members, $15 all others.
- Preregistration required. Replay will be available to registered attendees only.
- All experience levels are welcome.
- The presentation is expected to last approximately 120 minutes.
- Registration is open through Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 10am Eastern Time.
Confirmation/Receipt and Event Link
- After registering, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email.
- A link to the event will be sent by email approximately 24-hours prior to the event. Day-of registration links will be sent immediately prior to the event.
Advance registration includes online replay of the event. The replay will be available to registered attendees through March 11, 2023. Registered attendees will be provided a link via email when the replay is available for viewing.